Does mashed potatoes have to be boring? No! I have refined my mashed potatoes here with shallots, garlic and thyme. The result is a creamy thyme mashed potatoes. Super tasty! And went great with my baked Brussels sprouts with vegan parmesan. So take your mashed potatoes to the next level too and be sure to try this recipe!
First, I cooked the potatoes with the skins on. This just gives the potatoes a great flavor. Plus, you’ll throw away less of the potato this way because the skin can be peeled off like a skin. And best of all, it retains more nutrients than if you peel the potatoes before cooking.
While the potatoes are cooking until soft, I chopped the shallots and garlic. I melted vegan butter in a saucepan, then sauteed the chopped shallots and garlic in it. You don’t need a lot of heat here. If the pot is too hot, the vegan butter will burn. We don’t want that to happen. 🙂 After the shallots are translucent, I add dried thyme. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a fresh sprig on hand. Then I let the butter continue to simmer even low heat, so that it takes on the delicious flavor of the thyme. At the end I fill the butter thyme mixture with vegan cream. Here, of course, you can also use Plant Milk. I didn’t cut any calories that day. Cheat days have to be sometimes! And honestly, when it comes to mashed potatoes, don’t skimp on butter. Or how do you see it?
My potatoes cooked soft during this. After they have cooled a bit, I pull off their peel. Your vegan cream is now warm and ready for your peeled potatoes. Mash the potatoes and add them to the butter and cream mixture. Please do not mash the potatoes with a hand blender or anything similar. Too much blending will make the mashed potatoes very sticky.
And that’s it! Of course you can be flexible with the spices. Maybe try rosemary instead of thyme?
Mashed Potatoes with ThymeCourse: dinnerDifficulty: easy
250 ml Vegan Cream
1 Clove of Garlic
2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
1 tsp Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
- Boil potatoes with skins in a pot full of water, 1 tbsp salt and the bay leaf for about 25 minutes until soft.
- Mince shallots and garlic.
- Melt the vegan butter in a pot, add the shallots and garlic. Fry on low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the thyme and let the mixture simmer on low for another 3 minutes.
- Add the vegan cream. The butter cream mixture should now be heated for another 3-5 minutes.
- Peel the soft boiled potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes into the cream and mix everything together until smooth. Season the mashed potatoes with salt.
- Please do not mash the potatoes with a hand blender or similar. Too much blending will make the mashed potatoes very sticky.