A good breakfast includes scrambled eggs, right? And of course, there’s a healthy, protein-rich, plant-based alternative for this. Scrambled tofu tastes just as delicious as real scrambled eggs. In this scrambled tofu recipe, I’ve also added sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, creating Italian style. Very tasty! Be sure to give it a try.
You’re probably wondering now how tofu can taste like egg. The answer is simple: Kala Namak.
The black salt tastes like sulfur and that’s how the egg flavor is created. You can also use the salt for other dishes in which you want the typical egg taste. For example, in spaghetti carbonara. Be careful when using the salt and only add small amounts at a time. Taste your way slowly and add more Kala Namak salt if needed.
Turmeric gives the typical egg color. The yellow spice is perfect for this. If you want even more resemblance to real scrambled eggs, you can optionally add some silken tofu, vegan yogurt or plant milk to the scrambled tofu. This will provide that sloppy consistency.
I chose to use Italian style scrambled tofu in this recipe. But of course, you can modify the recipe to your liking. For example, you can add smoked tofu to replace bacon, onions, peppers, fresh tomatoes. Just treat scrambled tofu like real scrambled eggs.
Scrambled Tofu Italian StyleCourse: breakfastDifficulty: easy
1/2 cup sun-dried Tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh Basil (Alternative: 1 tsp dried Basil)
1/2 tsp. Turmeric
1/2-1 tsp. Kala Namak / Black Salt
Optional: 1 Tbsp. Silken Tofu, Vegan Yogurt, or Plant Milk
- Smash the tofu into small pieces. Mince the sun-dried tomatoes and basil.
- Heat the frying pan. Fry the tofu together with the vegan butter.
- Add turmeric and black salt. This will give the tofu the right color and egg flavor.
- Add the dried tomato and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Just before you take the tofu out of the pan, add the fresh basil.
- Optionally, you can also add a tablespoon of silken tofu, vegan yogurt or plant milk to the tofu. This will make the tofu a little more mushy.