Indian cuisine is packed with exciting flavors. In this vegan butter tofu recipe I have tried to pick up this flavor. The recipe contains various flavors such as coriander, ginger and chili. But there is more!
Do you love Indian cuisine as much as I do? If so, then be sure to try this delicious butter tofu. The sauce is based on butter chicken. But of course I want a vegan version. Therefore Butter Tofu!
The most important thing in this recipe are the spices. You need: Garam Masala, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, chili, coriander seeds and grated coriander and of course salt.
Onions, garlic, ginger and tomatoes are also responsible for the intense flavor. The most important thing in this recipe: toast! The spices and vegetables should be roasted in your pan. Only after that you fill the sauce with vegan yogurt and cream.
The tofu is baked in the oven while you cook the delicious sauce until crispy. Only after it has formed a nice crust, you add it to the sauce. The vegan butter tofu tastes even better the next day! Because well done the tofu takes the taste of the sauce much better. Therefore, this dish is excellent for pre-cooking or meal prep. If you want to know more about good meal planning, healthy lunches and quick cooking during the work week, be sure to check out this article!
Vegan Butter TofuCourse: Dinner, LunchDifficulty: easy
2 Firm Tofu
1 Cup vegan Yogurt
1 Cup Vegan Cream
1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Paprika seasoning
1 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp. Garam Masala
1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp. Chili Flakes
2 Tbsp. minced fresh Ginger
1 Tbsp. Coriander Seeds
2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
1 tsp. Ground Coriander
1 tsp. Cumin
- Dry the tofu and break it into chunks.
- Mix the tofu with cornstarch, 1 tbsp. garam masala and paprika seasoning. Bake the tofu chunks for 20 minutes (175ºC)
- Mince the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Melt vegan butter or ghee in a saucepan. Fry the ginger and coriander seeds in it for about 2 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic. Continue frying for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste, maple syrup and all the other spices. Sauté the spices for about 3 minutes.
- When the spice mixture smells good, then you can add the chopped tomatoes to the pan. Let the sauce simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Puree the sauce and then add the vegan yogurt, tofu chunks and vegan cream.
- Serve with rice or naan.