A delicious, crispy gratin can only be made with cheese? That’s not true! Try my Vegan Cauliflower Potato Gratin recipe and change your mind! It’s completely animal-free, contains less fat, but just as much love!
The truth is that I used to love gratins with lots of cheese. Now that I’ve changed my diet to 95% plant-based, of course I had to have an alternative. I have developed several variations on how I “gratinate” my casseroles. Here’s one of them.
Instead of cheese, I top my gratin with potatoes and bake them until crispy. In this vegan cauliflower potato gratin, of course, it fits perfectly!
Here’s how it’s made: for the sauce from the gratin, chop up the onions, garlic, carrot and potatoes and fry those with vegan butter until golden brown. Then add a tablespoon of flour and fry it briefly. Then pour the vegetables with vegetable milk and water. The sauce is seasoned with paprika, salt, nutmeg, send and for the slightly cheesy flavor comes nutritional yeast.
Cook the sauce on low heat until the vegetables are soft. Then put the sauce in a blender and puree it. Taste it again and season if necessary!
Divide the cauliflower into individual florets. Peel the potatoes and slice them finely. Get a large casserole dish and put the cauliflower in it, pouring it with the sauce. Then spread the thin potato slices on top. Salt the potato top and brush it with melted vegan butter at the end. This way it gets nice and crispy in the oven.
Vegan Cauliflower Potato GratinCourse: dinnerDifficulty: easy
2 Clove Garlic
1 Big Carrot
3 Tbsp. Vegan Butter
1 Tbsp. Flour
2 Cups Plant Milk
1/2 Cup Water
1 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Mustard
2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
1/3 Cup Parsley
- Chop onions, garlic, carrot and two small potatoes.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. vegan butter in a pot, add the vegetables and fry them until golden brown.
- Add the flour and roast briefly.
- Pour the vegetables with vegetable milk and water.
- Season the sauce with salt, nutritional yeast, paprika, mustard and nutmeg.
- Let the sauce cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Then mix the sauce and add the parsley. Taste the sauce and add salt if necessary.
- Divide the cauliflower into individual florets.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them finely.
- Put the cauliflower in a large baking dish. Pour the sauce over it and cover the casserole with the thin potato slices.
- Salt the potato top and brush it with melted vegan butter. Bake the gratin for about 35 minutes at 175ºC.