Trust me: this salad tastes so much better than it looks! My vegan chickpea salad (like tuna) is packed with great ingredients and nutrients. And, of course, it’s incredibly delicious.
Plant-based chickpea salad is a delicious alternative to tuna salad. The twist to this recipe is that it contains nori seaweed. The seaweed provides a light, fishy flavor. This makes it a little reminiscent of tuna salad. Just because of the seaweed, however, the vegan version is not only delicious, but also nutritious! I’ll explain why in this post.
Valuable nutrients in the Vegan Chickpea (like Tuna) Salad
Chickpeas contain a lot of protein. However, compared to tuna, chickpeas contain less fat and are loaded with fewer pollutants. This is because some types of fish contain mercury or other toxins.
Nori seaweed contains healthy healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation and improving heart health.
We often consume far too little omega-3 fatty acids. That’s why it’s always worth including algae in your diet. However, if you don’t like algae, you can alternatively use flax oil or flax seeds. They are also a good source of this essential fatty acid.
Overall, vegan chickpea salad is a delicious plant-based meal that is packed with nutrients. The salad is a great example of how to eat a protein-rich and nutrient-dense diet without relying on animal products. With its high protein and healthy fats, it makes a great lunch or snack! It’s also super delicious on sandwiches.
By the way, the vegan mayonnaise in this salad is very quick to make yourself. You can find the recipe for the mayonnaise and more plant-based recipes here: My Plant-Based Basics.
Vegan Chickpea (like Tuna) SaladCourse: SaladDifficulty: easy
3,5 Cups cooked Chickpeas
1/2 Cup Pickles
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Cup Vegan Mayo
1 Tbsp. Nori Seaweed Flakes
1 tsp. Mustard
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 Tbsp. Water/ from Pickles
- Mince the pickles, green bell pepper and shallots into small dices.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon.
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash them with a fork.
- When all the chickpeas are mashed, add the chopped vegetables and all the other ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- The nori seaweed gives the salad a slightly fishy flavor. Therefore, it can also be called a vegan tuna salad. However, the salad also tastes very good without algae.
- Vegan mayo is super fast homemade. You can find a recipe at my plant-based basics.