I don’t know how it is at your home, but at ours it is important to have sweet spread for breakfast. My children, of course, love chocolate spread. But often they contain a lot of sugar and unhealthy fats. But there is another way! You can easily make a healthier alternative with just two ingredients. Let me introduce you to my Vegan Hazelnut Chocolate Spread!
Industrially produced chocolate spreads very often contain palm oil and a lot of added sugar. Palm oil is often criticized because rainforest is cleared for the extraction. In addition, there are studies that indicate that palm oil brings health risks. You probably know that too much sugar is unhealthy. Sugar, for example, contains many calories with few nutrients. So it makes sense to try to consume less palm oil and less sugar.
My vegan hazelnut chocolate spread uses only two ingredients. You only need hazelnuts and a bar of vegan chocolate.
The first thing to do is to process the hazelnuts into nut butter. This requires a good blender* and it also takes a while. The hazelnuts need to be mixed for at least 5 minutes. If you want to save time, you can alternatively use ready-made hazelnut butter.
You can also replace the chocolate bar with unsweetened cocoa powder and dates. To do this, simply make a paste of these two ingredients and mix it with the nut butter.
The beauty of this homemade spread is that you can decide how sweet you want it to be. The chocolate hazelnut spread is of course delicious on fresh bread. But it is also good for baking.
Vegan Hazelnut Chocolate SpreadCourse: breakfastDifficulty: medium
3 Cups Hazelnuts
3.52 oz / 100g vegan Dark Chocolate
- Roast the hazelnuts on a baking sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes. (They should smell good afterwards and the shell should come off).
- Blend the hazelnuts in a high-powered blender to make nut butter. This may take some time. Alternatively, you can use ready-made hazelnut butter.
- Melt the chocolate and add it to the nut butter in the blender. Blend.
- Put your chocolate spread in a sealable container.
- Blending the hazelnuts can take a long time to get the right consistency. If you want to save time, just use ready-made hazelnut butter.
- You can also use a mixture of dates and unsweetened cocoa powder instead of the chocolate bar.