Creamy risotto does not need real Parmesan. Also in my vegan version of lemon risotto, the rice becomes really nice and creamy. Vegan Parmesan can be made super fast yourself.
The most important thing when cooking risotto is that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot. For this, the risotto must be stirred regularly. It is also important to add the liquid to the risotto only gradually.
The liquid from the risotto consists on the one hand of vegetable broth and the juice of a lemon. This is how the creamy vegan lemon risotto is created.
Cooking risotto yourself is not difficult, but this dish requires more attention than others due to the regular stirring. When the risotto rice is soft, add fresh parsley and the vegan parmesan.
The vegan parmesan alternative is homemade in just 2 minutes. All you need are some cashews and Nutritional Yeast. If you like, you can also add salt or other spices. To prepare the vegan parmesan, put the cashews together with the yeast in a blender and chop everything finely.
Now we prepare the vegetables. Cut off the lower, dry part of the asparagus and quarter the asparagus spears. Cut the zucchini into slices. Roast the asparagus in a pan. When it starts to brown, add a little sugar and let the asparagus caramelize in the pan. Put the roasted asparagus aside and add the zucchini to the pan. Roast the zucchini as well and season with salt and ground pepper.
Garnish your vegan Lemon Risotto
Your risotto rice should. now be nice and soft and creamy and the vegetables are soft but still firm to the bite. It’s perfect like this! Arrange the vegan lemon risotto in a bowl, add the vegetables on top. If you like, you can top the risotto with some fresh parsley, vegan parmesan and spring onions.
Lemon Risotto with Asparagus & ZucchiniCourse: dinnerDifficulty: medium
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
1 Cup Risotto Rice
2 Tbsp Parsley
2 Tbsp Vegan Parmesan
1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
10 spears Green Asparagus
1/2 Tbsp. Sugar
- Prepare the vegetable broth.
- Melt the vegan butter in a pot and toast the risotto rice briefly.
- Then pour some vegetable broth to the risotto rice. But only enough to cover the rice. Reduce the heat, let the rice simmer in the broth and stir it regularly.
- Once the rice has absorbed the broth, add a little broth again. Keep doing this until all the broth is gone.
- Once the broth is gone, add the juice of one lemon to the rice. Stir the risotto rice regularly so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When the rice is soft, add the vegan parmesan and the parsley.
- Cut off the end of the asparagus spears. Quarter the asparagus spears and slice the zucchini.
- Roast the asparagus in a hot pan. Add the sugar and caramelize the asparagus. Remove the asparagus from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the zucchini slices. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Add the asparagus to the zucchini and continue to sauté until the asparagus is firm to the bite.