Whether for a barbecue, dinner or a quick lunch snack. These hearty vegan shish kebabs are simply delicious! To go with the vegan shish kebab, we had a creamy polenta. Best of all, this dish is ready to cook within 30 minutes.
You have to try these delicious mushroom skewers! They are super quick to make and very tasty. You can also always adjust them by adding new marinades to vary the dish. They’re great for your next barbecue party. However, the vegan shish kebabs are also great to prepare and enjoy as a quick lunch snack.
First, mix all the ingredients for the marinade together and put the oyster mushrooms and quartered onion in it. They should sit in the marinade for at least 10 minutes, but you can also leave them in the fridge overnight. Then, alternate mushrooms and onions on your skewers. I use bamboo skewers, but you can use whatever skewers you have at home.
Caution. If you want to grill the mushroom skewers and use wooden skewers, let the wooden skewers sit in water for at least an hour beforehand so they don’t burn off on the grill.
I then fry the finished skewers in a pan with a little oil on medium heat. I turn them from time to time so that each side is nicely browned. This takes 10-15 minutes, depending on the stove.
While the vegan shish kebabs are frying, I prepare the polenta. This is super easy and quick! Boil a mixture of water and milk (1 part water, 2 parts milk) and then add the polenta and some salt (or vegetable broth) to the boiling milk-water mixture. Then turn off the heat and let the polenta stand for 15 minutes. At the end, loosen the polenta and add some vegan butter. This makes it really creamy!
In order not to waste anything I made a quick sauce from the rest of the marinade. Super tasty! Be sure to try it out! To make it, take the skewers out of the pan and pour the rest of the marinade, along with some water into the hot pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and add some peanut butter. If the sauce is too thin, you can thicken it with cornstarch. To do this, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with water until smooth and add the mixture to the sauce. Bring the sauce to the boil again.
Don’t miss this vegan shish kebab with creamy polenta! Have you tried this or any of my other recipes? If so, I’d love to hear how you liked it.
Vegan Shish Kebab with PolentaCourse: dinner, lunchDifficulty: easy
- Shish Kebab
1 Red Onion
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Peanut Oil
- Creamy Polenta
1 Cup Polenta Corn Grits
2 Cups Plant Milk
1 Cup Water
1 Tbsp. vegan Butter
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Peanut Butter
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade together. Add the mushrooms and the quartered red onion to the marinade. Let everything rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Arrange the mushrooms and onions alternately on a skewer.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil and fry the mushroom skewers over medium heat until brown. (About 10 minutes) Turn them every now and then.
- For the polenta, boil milk and water together. Add the salt and the polenta. Stir everything vigorously. Turn off the heat and let the polenta sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter to the polenta and stir until creamy.
- Take the finished mushroom skewers out of the pan. Add the remaining marinade to the pan and some additional water. Season the sauce with peanut butter and thicken it if necessary with some cornstarch dissolved in water.