With this recipe you will succeed your next bread with certainty! Because my white bread recipe is fail-safe. You need only a few ingredients and must follow a few simple steps.
I use a wheat flour for my white bread. If you have a gluten intolerance, you can also use gluten-free flour. The amount of water may need to be adjusted.
First, put the flour in a large bowl. Make a small well in the flour and sprinkle the yeast into it. Mix the yeast with the sugar and a little water. Gently stir the yeast-water-sugar mixture into some of the surrounding flour. Please be careful not to add too much flour to the mixture. When you have mixed everything well, sprinkle some surrounding flour on top. So that you don’t see any moisture anymore.
After 20-30 minutes of resting, bubbles should have formed and moisture will come to the surface. Now is the time to add all the other ingredients to the dough. Add olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt to the flour. At the end, slowly add the water.
Now knead the dough until you get a smooth texture. Cover the bowl with a cloth and let the dough rest for at least 60 minutes.
After the resting time, the dough should have approximately doubled in size. Put some flour on a baking sheet, divide the dough in half and shape it into a loaf.
Don’t knead the dough anymore, just fold and lay it
When shaping the bread, it is important that you do not knead the dough! Pull it in each direction and then fold it back together. This way you let air into the dough.
After forming two loaves, score the top slightly to allow the dough to rise nicely in the oven. Mix some plant-based milk with oil and brush the dough with it. If you like, you can now put seeds of your choice on the breads. I chose sesame and sunflower seeds.
Your loaves are now ready to bake. You don’t have to preheat the oven. After about 45 minutes, your bread should be ready to bake. To check if they’re really done, you can tap the bottom of the loaves. If the bread sounds hollow, it’s done.
The perfect spread for your fail-safe white bread
If you have baked your perfect white bread, then of course you also need the right spreads. You can find some recipes for it on my blog. For example, I can recommend the hummus with roasted peppers or the vegan chocolate spread. But my paprika-walnut spread is also perfect. Maybe try my vegan tuna spread? I can’t even decide which spread I like best.
Failsafe White BreadCourse: breakfast, snack, lunchDifficulty: easy
2 lbs. wheat flour
1 packet of instant yeast (or 10g fresh yeast)
2 Tbsp. sugar
5 Tbsp. Water
3 Tbsp. Salt
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Cups Water
- To coat the bread:
3 Tbsp Plant Milk
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Seeds of choice
- Put the flour in a bowl. Form a small mold.
- Sprinkle the yeast into the mold, add the sugar and about 5 tablespoons of water. Stir the yeast, sugar and water together in the well. Pour some of the flour over the yeast and water mixture and let everything rest for about 30 minutes.
- After the resting time, bubbles should have formed. Now add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt to the flour. The last thing to add is 2 cups of water. Knead everything into a smooth dough and let it rest for at least 60 minutes.
- After this time, the dough should have approximately doubled in size. Divide the dough in half and form two loaves. Important: Pull the dough while shaping it. Do not knead! This is important so that the air remains in the dough and the bread becomes nice and fluffy.
- Scoring the dough with shallow slashes with a sharp knife.
- Mix olive oil with vegetable milk and coat the dough.
- If you want, you can now put seeds of your choice on the bread.
- Now put the breads in the oven. (You do not need to preheat the oven). Bake the breads for the first 20 minutes at 200ºC and then turn the oven down to 180ºC to finish them.
Practical tips to make your bread perfect:
- Steam will make your bread nice and crispy. If your oven has a steam function, turn it on. Otherwise, you can fill an ovenproof dish with water and place it in the oven with the bread.
- When you think your bread is done, tap the bottom of the bread. If it sounds hollow, then it is done.
- When you have taken your bread out of the oven, place it on a rack to cool. This will also allow air to get to the bottom of the bread and keep it crispy.